On a cold and frosty morning Stanier Mogul No.42968 catches the first rays as she heads out of Loughborough with a service to Leicester North. These engines were Stanier’s first locomotive for the LMS and it is easy to see how the Black5, 8F, and the Jubilee evolved from this initial design. These engines, 40 in all were built, came to be known as ‘Stanier Crabs’ , as they were, in many respects, a continuation of the 6P5F 2-6-0 ‘Crab’ Hughes had designed for the LMS, which were built in 1926, under Sir Henry Fowler’s direction.
Like Hughes’ ‘Crab’ Stanier’s engines are 2-6-0s, they are classified 6P5F, have two outside cylinders, and Walschearts motion. However, they do not have the very high running plate and inclined cylinders which earned Hughes’ engines their nickname – ‘Crabs’. No 42968 is, running with one of Fowler’s straight sided tenders with which the engines were paired. The last but one of her class still in active service, in 1966, she was withdrawn from Springs Branch MPD, in Wigan and sent to Woodham Bros. of Barry for cutting up. No.42968 was rescued by the Stanier mogul fund, in 1973, and moved to the Severn Valley Railway, were she has been a long term resident ever since.